Sixteen Sun City Swimmers traveled to Orlando Florida to participate in the Rowdy Gaines Masters Classic Swim Meet. The team had an incredible performance placing second in the meet among swimmers representing 53 teams. Accumulating 2755 points in the team rankings Sun City Hilton Head Masters trailed the first place team from North Carolina by just 36 points.
The swimmers also set new South Carolina State swimming records.
Men’s 400M Free 6:43.94 Jim Bedient, Chet Richards, Rick McFadden, Pete Gordon
Women’s 400M Free 6:10.85 Cynthia Smith, Sheila Jemella, Ginny Taylor, Bonnie Sotire
Women’s 800M Free 13:22.66 Sheila Jemella, Ginny Taylor, Cynthia Smith, Bonnie Sotire
Men’s 400M Medley 7:47.07 Tom Bastian, Jim Bedient, Chet Richards, Pete Gordon
Mixed 800M Free 14:27.74 Jim Bedient, Bonnie Sotire, Cynthia Smith, Pete Gordon
Mixed 400M Free 6:03.17 Jim Bedient, Bonnie Sotire, Cynthia Smith Pete Gordon
Bonnie Sotire 50M Freestyle, 36.01
Joanne Stewart 200M Freestyle 506.85, 50M Back 1:12.92, 200M Back 5:54.52, 50M Breast 1:24.01, 100M Breast 2:54.28, 200M Breast 6:32.37
High Point Winners:
Elayne Bartholomew and Joanne Stewart captured high point awards for their age groups and received their awards from Rowdy Gaines an Olympic Swimmer. Bartholomew captured 144 points in addition to relay places.
- Marian Bastian placed in four events to earn 65 team points as well as her relay swims.
- Tom Bastian scored 136 pints with 9 places as well as relay swims.
- Jim Bedient scored 188 points with places in 12 places as well as relay swims.
- Susan Bender-Kline scored 42 points with three places in her first meet. Sue has been with the team only 4 months! She told Rowdy Gaines her next goal is to complete in a 100M or 100Y event!
- Pete Gordon placed in six events to accumulate 73 points as well as his relay efforts.
- Sandy Hineline earned 128 points with seven places which included three first places as well as relay swims.
- Sheila Jemella earned 114 team points with places in seven individual events as well as her swims in the relay events.
- Caroline Kemerling swam to places in five events earning 62 points as well as relay efforts.
- Rick McFadden earned 99 points, placing in all seven of his events as well as scoring relay points in his first meet.
- Chet Richards swam to places in 12 events scoring 168 points as well as relay swims. Ginger Richards earned 154 points by placing in 11 events and relay swims.
- Cynthia Smith placed in 9 events including three first places to score 175 points as well as relay swims. Bonnie Sotire earned 111 individual points as well as a state record with places in 6 events which included three first places as well as her relay swims. Joanne Stewart swam to places in 11 events including five first places as well as her state records and her relay swims to earn 181 points.
- Ginny Taylor earned 133 points with places in 12 events as well as her relay swims.